BEDFORD - 100
100 is typical of many private buses built from the late 1930s to the 1950s.
Although badged as a Bedford, mechanically this exhibit is a mix of parts from many different manufacturers. The chassis is constructed from pre-war truck components, mainly General Motors in origin. The front axle is from a pre-war REO, whilst the rear axle assembly and transmission are mid-war Ford parts. The engine is a Perkins P6 diesel.
The body is zincaneal sheeting on a timber frame, and was built by Syd Wood of Bankstown. The only Bedford parts on this exhibit are the engine cowling and front guards, even though it may look like a Bedford OB!
Built for Jamieson's Bus Service and completed on May 16 1957, the bus was registered M/O 100 and used on various routes between Hurstville Railway station and Carss Park. It was retired in 1976, by which time it was one of the last 'normal control' (bonneted) buses in NSW.
It was purchased by two Members of the SBM for preservation in 1986, and fully restored over a three year period. In 2012 the bus passed to the Museum for continued preservation.
100 is currently awaiting mechanical attention before returning to service.
Engine: 4.7 litre Perkins P6 diesel engine, bore 3.5", stroke 5", developing 70 B.H.P. at 2200 R.P.M.
Transmission: Four speed Ford constant mesh 'crash' gearbox to a crown wheel and pinion differential.
Brakes: Hydraulic footbrake to all wheels and a transmission parking brake.
Bedford 100 at Sydney Olympic Park for the 2013 Bus Show. Liam Brundle.