top of page

AEC REGAL IV 9823E - 3197

3197 is an example of a second series Underfloor, purchased by the Department of Government Transport (DGT) to finalise the tramway replacement program, and to enable the last pre-Second World War buses to be withdrawn from service.

 

The body was built by Clyde Engineering at Granville, and it was completed in August, 1959. It spent most of it's government career at Randwick Depot, with a short stint at Brookvale Depot before being withdrawn in September, 1978. 

 

3197 was then sold to Fellowe's Bus Service of Swansea, who registered it as M/O 4349. Withdrawn from private service in 1983, 3197 was then acquired for preservation soon after.

The bus was restored to its as-delivered DGT condition, and appeared at a number of Museum events since restoration. Currently awaiting engine overhaul, 3197 is often featured in our display hall. 

Specifications:

Engine: 11.3 litre six cylinder AEC diesel, bore 4.72", stroke 5.59", 150 b.h.p. at 1800 rpm. 

 

Transmission: Four speed electropneumatic epicyclic gearbox driving a worm drive differential.

 

Brakes: Air operated foot brake and a mechanical park brake. 

3197 at Manly Wharf on a night tour, 2013. Liam Brundle.

3197 at Manly Wharf on a night tour, 2013. Liam Brundle.

bottom of page