top of page

PIONEER COACHES AEC RELIANCE - 634

Pioneer Coaches of Bexley was established in 1931 by Mr C. Iffland, operating Route 112 from Rockdale to Bexley via Hurstville.

 

The chassis of 634 was one of the first AEC Reliance chassis imported from the UK, and the body was built by Motor Body Assemblers (MBA) of Camperdown in early 1957. The body is a timber frame with aluminium panelling, and seats 46 passengers. 634 is typical of many private buses built during the early 1950s.

 

634 ran for Pioneer Coaches for nearly 30 years, and was retired in 1986. The bus was then sold to a Museum Member for preservation.

This exhibit is currently awaiting mechanical attention to return it to service.

 

 

Specifications:

Engine: Six cylinder overhead valve AEC AH 470 diesel engine, horizontally mounted underfloor, developing 104 B.H.P. at 1,800 R.P.M.

 

Transmission: Five speed synchromesh gearbox to a crown wheel and pinion differential.

 

Brakes: Air operated footbrake to all wheels and a mechanical hand brake to the rear wheels.

 

634 in Hurstville, March 1985. John Ward, SBM Archives. 

634 in Hurstville, March 1985. John Ward, SBM Archives

bottom of page